Friday, April 18, 2014

Photography Workflow - How to Cut Production Time it's poker room 50%


Like a large amount of photographers, I like to learn around and constantly come across Photoshop. Each time you're using it, it seems just like you discover some new trick or long way of accomplishing something quicker previously. But I'm a businessman too, so I need for one to careful about just how long I'm spending in front of the computer. The more hours I spend there, the less I have for taking photos start marketing my services, and that's where I make positive cash-flow. So I've always received the philosophy of 'get it right in the camera' even before Photoshop was created. With that in memories, let's see how we are going to get beautiful files that require either none or little or nothing manipulation after the production.

One: Shoot a customized white balance.

I'm going to have a very very recent shoot I did at the beach as a good example of why you should intent a custom white credit balances versus shooting on 'auto'. I used to be this shoot with about 45 minutes to visit until sunset. The gentle, and the color temperature of this light, changed rapidly in those days. I shot the same shoes against green grass, blue water, and white sand. Oh, she also changed her clothes in the middle of it. By taking about 30 seconds every 15 minutes to shoot a an innovative white balance, I might get consistent color and pleasing coloration. And if I wanted to make a color correction, I could do it globally with all the files, since the color is to become consistent from file to launch. If I shot forth auto, my camera would be trying to make sense of the a variety conditions and colors worth before it, and although they may be 'acceptable', they will vary widely. That means obviously correct each file one-by-one, not a fun way to spend the night. I'd otherwise be watching '24'! You would even be better off to 'guess' the skin tone temperature and lock it in your camera, even if it's not all that close, since you could once again 'globally' effect the change. These changes are more easily accomplished in a portion of their RAW converter software packages but I don't want to bring up the already existing 'RAW vs. JPEG' debate in this article, it's been done to death and you should have your mind composed on that subject at the.

I use the BalanceSmarter product (www. balancesmarter. com). It's the perfect 'carry everywhere' little seem reflector with a grey and gray side. The thing that it then makes it unique is the TARGET they made in the middle of it so you can start it. DUH, why didn't I think of that! I'm sure you have never turned your auto focus away to shoot a white wall down the line forgot to turn might back on. Right? I am not talking!

Two: Use a claim light meter.

I know some photographers who feature that since digital, they've 'thrown away' their gentle meters. Big mistake, because now you want them more than ever! I know you can see the photo, and I know you've got a histogram, but bear with me here for a tracphone minutes. Let's compare digital to film for a minute, it's great fun and everybody does it. I've been totally digital for several years now, but when I was shooting film, I knew it like the back of my hand. I used the same film effectively ISO everyday. Doing deck portrait sessions, I really didn't even need to look at the meter because I used to be so familiar with the very film. Now let's consider a typical outdoor shoot on this digital. I may shoot at anywhere from an ISO of 100 facilitate 800, which makes doing exposure 'in my head' a little bit of difficult, so a meter can come in pretty handy. What however the in camera meter? I'm amazed at how good they offered, you'd think there was a little guy in there selecting what was in your scene averse to some tech stuff trying to make everything gray. That means the big event dress is underexposed and also the black cat is overexposed. The obvious solution is to meter an easy itself via an incident meter certainly measuring reflected light much like our camera meter.

Of course, the reason we desire to be so careful with our exposure is because when we went 'digital', our latitude disappeared! Current color negative films fantastic probably a stop underexposure and you can probably overexpose them until eventually they're 'bulletproof'. Or as much as three stops. Compare about it with digital. The current crop of digital SLR's are likely good for 1/3rd of a stop over and 2/3rd 's throughout regards to stop underexposed. Yikes! So much for shooting from having a hip! And while I'll own up to doing that on weddings because you've to, why shouldn't I take the time doing a portrait to get it perfect?

While beyond the variety of this article, make keen you calibrate your contest meter. I use a Polaris line of credit meter that I've had for many years and bounced off many sidewalks. I find I have to open a half stop within the meter reading for an enormous 'perfect' exposure, so do your own testing. The methods of do that is for those 'Calibration Target' to researching on under even the radiation, varying exposures. Take photos of it and open in Photo shop. Your 'info' numbers should read about 20/127/245 for black/gray/white. Match those numbers up to your meter readings, adjust ISO if necessary, and you're good to head. This also eliminates aspects between different camera through.

Got all that? According to the! Now let's add five more 'tips' which includes you shooting perfect files and spending a little longer watching 'The Soup'! (OK, you will see two of my favorite Presents! I have two DVR's! I'm all about TIME! )

Tip One: Misuse fixed f/stop lenses. I know they cost more about we're talking perfection down the page, so we don't desire to be using lenses that change lights entering when you affect the focal length. Say goodbye to individuals variable speed lenses unless they're ones you're using sparingly.

Tip Two: Benefit from the brightness range. You might have perfect exposure and white balance but a higher image need details given that highlights and shadows. Benefit from the background especially for 'blown out' furnishings. Small dots are nice but large expanses, like a blank sky in a brand scenic photo, just will not do.

Tip Three: Discover the histogram. A meter will give you perfect exposure and the custom white balance will really lasso that color for you personally, but the histogram is really a graphic interpretation of the scene forward. It will tell you if parts may be more than or underexposed. It can confirm how much of each 'brightness level' includes the scene. If you are taking a photo of was built with a 'gray card' properly observable, you'll get one spike dead center on your histogram. Get use to using it and you'll be able to tell just where each element of your photo lies with it.

Tip Four: Check exposure and white balance on wedding gowns! I do it a great deal! After metering my publicity, I'll walk up close to the bride and pop a fast close up of a detail element of her dress! If it has got detail and my histogram isn't crowding the best side, I'm good. Of course, if brides wear lemon dresses where your anywhere from, this won't work, but I've seen so many wedding photos without any detail in the bridal dress and there's just no excuse so as!

Tip Five: Use a pro lab. Even if that you will all the above, you need a closed loop system with color calibration at every step to insure an ideal color and density. You may want to do that, I choose not to. 95% of my files get to my lab (www. lustrecolor. com) with no color or density realignment on my part. They are available back perfect. There's no secret to it. Like I said at the beginning, 'get it right covering the camera'.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment